Tim and Jeni

Thankfulness for church

>> Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I've had a lot of thoughts about this topic today and I'm not quite sure where to start. First of all, I want to say how thankful I am that through church I learned about Jesus and about following him.

I'm thankful that church is so much bigger than a building. Growing up my dad used to say, "You can't go to church, because the church is you!" He got that line from a song by Acapella Vocal Band. I found a youtube of it here.


There was a time when I thought that being a Christian was all about going to church. Some people even think that everyone who goes to church is a Christian. Now that I've been a Christian for more than 20 years I can truly say that being a Christian isn't about church! It's so much more! I've grown so much in my faith through my one-on-one times with the Lord and in stepping out in obedience to His word.

Don't get me wrong, I think the teaching that happens at church is important. I just think that we all need to be careful not to think that the only time we dig deep into the scriptures is at church. Or that our children will be taught spiritual things at church....we can and should teach about the Scriptures in our homes also.

Living in the Middle East we do church differently. We don't go to a building, we meet in our homes. I'm as thankful for our church here as I am for our church in the States. It really isn't about a building at all. It's the people who are at the church that are important.

Church really is more like family since, as Christians, we are God's children. I love that concept! The thought that church is a family gathering is so sweet!


1 comments:

Anonymous,  November 10, 2012 at 6:11 AM  

This is a great post! I too am thankful for our church here on the island!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP